As part of Bonjour India 2017-2018, the 4-month long platform dedicated to celebrating Indo-French Innovation, Creativity, and Partnership, the ‘Easy Ride’ project was held on January 22, 23 and 25 in Chennai and Pondicherry. This project is dedicated to promoting and to promote and foster creative Indo-French collaborations on Smart and Sustainable Mobility.
‘Easy Ride’ is born out of an exemplary collaboration between FranceCol Technology, a French SME, and Vel Tech Rangarajan Dr. Sagunthala R&D Institute Of Science And Technology in Chennai, which led to the creation of an innovative electric bicycle engine thanks to the support of the Indo-French Centre for the Promotion of Advance Research (CEFIPRA).
The event comprised two parts:
1) A Design and Prototyping Competition held at Vel Tech, 22-23 January 2018: Around 150 students in 35 teams of engineering and design students competed in a Prototyping Challenge or a Design Challenge on the theme of smart and sustainable mobility. 10 Jury Members coming from leading industrial companies (Faurecia, Simpson & Co. Ltd, WABCO India Ltd., Mahindra World City, Mahindra Electric Mobility Ltd., Nissan Ashok Leyland Power Train Ltd., and Renault) and from the finance sector (Ausländer International) evaluated the projects and rewarded the 3 most innovative projects for each stream of competition. The best teams in each challenge won up to Rs. 30,000.
- The winning projects of the Prototyping competition are:
- Floor Cleaner Using Wi-Fi Module;
- Hand Gesture Control System;
- Smart Pooling Service At Public Transport Areas (Papta); and 3rd exaequo: Digital Fuel Meter.
- The winning projects of the Design competition are:
- Portable E-Wheelchair;
- Design And Development Of A Self Recharging Mono Wheel E-Bike.
2) An electric bicycle demonstration on Pondicherry’s Marine Street, 25 January 2018: H.E Mr. Alexandre Ziegler, Ambassador of France to India, along with the Lieutenant Governor of Pondicherry, Ms. Kiran Bedi and Chief Secretary Mr. Ashwani Kumar, officially launched the electric bicycle designed by FranceCol Technology. After being explained the technical characteristics of this innovative motor that can electrify any vehicle, they tried out the e-bike. H.E Mr. Alexandre Ziegler lauded this innovation for being the fruit of a “truly exemplary collaboration between a French SME and an Indian university” in the field of science and technology. Ms. Kiran Bedi, herself a bicycle-enthusiast, offered her support to setting up an ancillary unit for the bike in Pondicherry, and proposed that the female version of the bike be named ‘Puducherry’.
About FranceCol Technology:
FranceCol Technology is an innovative industrial R&D and design company, which produces its own power electronics and electrical motor devices. In 2016, it won the Creative Next India competition organised by the French Embassy and Business France to highlight innovative French entrepreneurs who have chosen to develop their activities in India. FranceCol Technology receive the first prize for its embedded wheel motor project enables the electrification any bicycle, motorcycle or wheel chair, without any structural modification, following the principles of frugal innovation.
This project was sponsored by Faurecia and MBDA.